Three Centuries of Binondo Architecture 1594-1898
The Binondo district was created in 1594 as a Dominican doctrina for Christian Chinese. By the end of the Spanish rule in 1898, it had become the acclaimed commercial capital of the Philippines, as it is known to this day. This book by Lorelei D.C. De Viana charts the architectural history and development of Binondo, spanning three centuries, and also looks into its role in the socio-economic history of the Philippines. Architect and author Lorelei D.C. De Viana also discusses the people who made up Binondo’s society and the social transformation that they underwent, anchoring on the premise that society plays a significant role in determining and defining architecture.
University of Santo Tomas Publishing House, Philippines
Softcover / 10 x 8.25 inches / 251 pages / BW